Printing and other imaging devices are strategic investments for any business. These sophisticated machines keep information flowing through the business and help staff to remain productive. As devices age, their performance will also decline. Knowing the right time to upgrade a printer fleet can help organizations avoid costly problems in the future. If the company isn’t already using managed print services (MPS), they should consider it as a solution when deciding to upgrade.
A 2017 survey by a major manufacturer found that only 36% of small businesses were tracking the usage of their printer fleet and the costs associated with printing operations. Keeping an eye on every device over its lifetime can help companies be more productive in a competitive economy. This blog will help organizations determine when it’s time to upgrade and what options are available to them for improving their print operations.
Signs That Printer Maintenance May No Longer Be Good Enough
If the company maintains and services its printers regularly, the fleet should continue to operate reliably most of the time. Even if they maintain their devices, printers will still develop issues as they get older. However, many organizations don’t keep track of servicing schedules and wait until a device fails before calling in a technical specialist.
When the company uses its IT department to resolve printing issues, it adds additional stress on already strained resources. By looking out for the following tell-tale signs that a device is failing, companies can ensure their fleet of printers operates more reliably.
Signs that devices are reaching the end of their useful life:
- Degrading Print Quality – When printed pages become blotched, streaky, or smudged, it could point to a failing image transfer system.
- Excessive Downtimes and Costly Repairs – Printers that regularly go “offline” can be an indication that hardware is failing and may require expensive replacement parts.
- Regular Paper Jams – If pages jam more frequently (and it’s not because of stacking errors), the rollers, grips, and other moving parts could be damaged or suffer from excessive wear.
- Outdated Technology – Printers that have compatibility and functionality issues can reduce a company’s productivity. When staff regularly need to look for workarounds to perform their tasks due to an old printer, it’s time to invest in a new device.
If any device in the fleet has one or more of these symptoms, the business should start looking at upgrading the printer. The company should conduct the necessary research into the latest Multifunction Device (MFD) features and capabilities before they make a final decision. They should also consider their print volumes, the device’s energy-efficiency, and wasteful practices they can eliminate by using a modern MFD.
Why Managed Print Services can Help Companies Save Money
Printers are essential to most business operations. When they fail, it can lead to lost time and reduced revenues. Ensuring they operate consistently and reliably is achievable with an MPS solution. Not only will the MPS company take over the management of the print fleet, but they’ll also help the company identify wasteful practices and enforce print policies on all their devices.
Benefits of Using MPS Solutions
The first step in any MPS solution is to conduct a comprehensive assessment of the organization’s printing operations. With this information, the company will develop a customized plan for managing all printing requirements going forward. The MPS company can recommend consolidating devices or deploying more efficient printers. They can also highlight areas where process automation can reduce the risk of running into issues in the future.
Additional benefits of MPS include:
- Consistent Budget – MPS solutions can calculate a price for the business’s printing requirements. This price will consist of all repairs, maintenance, and the cost of restocking and resupplying devices.
- Access to New Technology – Instead of needing to make large capital investments for new devices, the company gets access to modern technologies as part of the contract.
- Dedicated Support – If a device experiences any issues, the MPS company will have a team of experts to help troubleshoot problems remotely or by dispatching technicians to the site.
- Improved Oversight – As the MPS solutions will monitor all printing operations remotely, the company gains complete oversight and can reduce wasteful practices to save more money.
Reduce Maintenance Costs and Upgrade Your Print Fleet with Doing Better Business
When it’s time to upgrade a company’s printers, Doing Better Business can help turn a headache into an opportunity. With over 40 years of experience in the industry, DBB provides companies with the office technologies they need to remain productive and continue operating sustainably.
DBB collaborates with the best printer manufacturers to deliver the highest quality products and services to customers. With Managed Print Services, Managed IT, and Document Management Systems, DBB can help organizations save money, ensure they have access to modern technologies, and help them to regain control over their fleet of printers.
For more details about how DBB’s Managed Print Services can help your company save money and remain productive, reach out to one of our consultants today.